Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Main Accomplishments

Last year my biggest accomplishment, the one thing I felt most proud of, was having 1st graders create powerpoints. I never thought I would ever in my life be doing powerpoint with 1st graders.

This year, I already know what my main accomplishment is, the one thing I feel most proud of. Once again it has to do with 1st graders. My 1st graders a couple of weeks ago posted their animal habitat movies onto docushare so that they can share them with their friends and family.

I really love student docushare. I often want to share my students work with their family, but posting it all on the school webpage is too time consuming for 650 students. This makes it so easy for the student to upload their own document and then if they choose to share it, they can.

I've had more parents comment on their students work this year. I think what excites me most is the thought that if they can do this in 1st grade, what will they be able to do if I'm still working with them when they are 5th graders? I've noticed, this being my third year, that all the work is paying off. The students are able to get through projects faster. What used to take 8 weeks is only taking 5 or 6 because the foundation is built and all we have to do is build on that foundation.

I think the most important thing I "taught" this year was the students user name and password. They use it every time they come into class. A great number of my 1st Graders have it memorized (along with my 2nd-5th graders). I have saved so much time next year. It took me a long time to teach it this year, but the reward will come next year.

Other things this year have been hugely positive. Having my Kindergarteners for 50 minutes this year has been fantastic! First of all, I haven't had a single student in tears because they didn't have enough time to finish a project. I has given them time to "play" and "experiment" with the computers, which wasn't a luxury they had before. They have learned so much this year through the extra 5-10 minutes at the end of class when they are done with the project for the day when they can just explore. What I worry about now is what do I do with them next year. I will need to find ways to challenge them along with all of my students.

No comments: